1954 to 2004
(information from the 2004 Parish Photo Directory)
Cecilia Parish began as a mission of Sacred Heart Church through
the efforts of Archbishop Monahan and Rev. John J. Burns. The original
church was built in 1941 at the corner of Royal Street and 8th Avenue.
This area grew so quickly that a new church was needed, so the parish
of St. Cecilia was created in 1954 by Archbishop O'Neill.
The current church at 5020 7th Avenue was built in 1958-9.
The first mass was celebrated at midnight, Christmas Day, 1958,
celebrated by Rev. J. J. Burns.
The parish has
been served by a number of priests, photos
& dates. Service was also given by Rev. Gerard E. Mulligan
(July & Aug. 1964) and Rev. Peter Luttmer (Jan. to June 1996).
Women's League (formed in 1947) and St. Cecilia Men's Club (organized
in 1954) have been active from the very beginning. Without the diligent
work of these two groups over the years, the parish would not be
what it is today. Other parish groups include Golden Years, Knights
of Columbus (Father Burns Council), Social Justice, Ecumenism and
Absolutely Everybody Youth Group. The parish has been built on the
work of many volunteers inside our church, as well as out.
A number of parishioners assist at Pioneer Village and Santa Maria
Seniors Home, as well as many other local agencies.
Parish has the distinction of being the first in the Archdiocese
to have a Parish Council. This was organized in 1967 under Father
Lucey. Murray and Gen Grant served as first parish chair couple
and have been involved in many ministries over the years and continue
to serve in many capacities.
The parish has
also been affiliated with primary schools over the years. St. Patrick's
School began in 1950 with an existing school building moved from
Imperial, Saskatchewan to the property on 7th Avenue (west of current
church). The student population became too big within a few years,
so a new St. Patrick School was built and opened in 1957. It closed
in 1989. It currently is home to Westside Alliance Church. St. Francis
School was built on the bald prairie in 1964.
staff are: Len Ernst, parish minister; Fr. Pedro Aldea, priest moderator,
from Sacred Heart; Melita Stenhouse, church secretary who has been
with St. Cecilia's 19 years, and Merv Harrick who takes good care
of our buildings andgrounds.
to Sr. Ria Gerritsen, Archivist, Archdiocese of Regina for her assistance.
Thanks also to Murray Grant for his beautiful photo of the Royal
Street church on the cover of this directory, which he had the foresight
to photograph in 1957. It was demolished in 1960.